Mark your calendar! The 2017 LHCS Read-a-thon will be January 27 - February 24.
Kindergarten-5th grade students will read and keep track of the minutes they have read (outside of school time). They may collect pledges as a school fundraiser if they wish. Forms and money will be due by NOON onMarch 3. There will be prizes to earn as well as some giveaways. The awards assembly will be March 17 AM. Bikes and helmets will be awarded to the student from each grade reading the most minutes.
Parents will need to take an active role in helping their student(s) keep track of the minutes. Students had some very creative math last year and were reading 10 hours a day?
Other helpful read-a-thon info/dates to keep in mind:
· The Read-a-thon is a big event which relies on many volunteers. Please click on the link below to see what opportunities await... www.SignUpGenius.com/go/30E0E4EA4AD2FA2F85-read
· Dress up as a One Color on Friday, February 10 as part of the Read-a-thon Event.
· Michael Hall, author and illustrator, will be giving a presentation on Tuesday, Feb 7 at LC lunchroom. His books will be available for purchase and signing at 6 PM. All his books are hardcover and will be sold for $14-16. All are welcome and there will be a free snack available!
Mr. Hall's book "Red: A Crayon's Story" is one of the nominated books for this year's Star Of the North Award (this award is for picture books and is geared toward grades K-2). He also had a book that was nominated in last year's program "It's an Orange Aardvark" -- in fact, it was the top voter getter at our school (even though it didn't win the state vote). Looking for some great books to add to your Readathon minutes? Check out the books nominated for the Maud Hart Lovelace and Star of the North Book Awards, available in both the Upper and Lower Campus Media Centers. In March, you can vote for YOUR favorite book for each of the awards.
Visit http://www.maudhartlovelace.org/ and http://www.starofthenorthaward.org/ for more information about this fun state-wide program.
Questions? Email Sue Hendrickson or 612-924-6018
· Used Book Sale Feb 23 & 24 - Please start collecting your used books for the annual LCHS Used Book Sale-Upper and Lower Campuses. Drop off your used books - drop off boxes are located in the Media Center at both UC and LC. The sooner you can drop them off, the better. The Used Book Sale will be February 23-24 at UC and LC.
· Wild Rumpus Book Fair Sunday February 12th at noon - this is a fun fundraiser for LHCS PTA - Come check it out!